Another crazy idea...

April 13 2008... Not long until I am going to be pounding the streets of London in my second attempt at the London marathon. Two years ago I ran (well jogged slowly)as a penguin to raise funds for Children with Leukaemia. I remember it as being 'fun' - amazing at my ability to block out bad and painful memories! This time, I am running for what I believe is the greatest threat facing the world as we know it - climate change. In undertaking this personal challenge, I want to raise awareness of the issues and throw out a challenge to everyone who reads this blog to make small changes in their lives. Afterall, many small changes can make a huge difference.
So here's how it works - last time I was pestering you for money. This time instead of money I want you to pledge to make small changes and list these under the comments sections to give other people ideas. Parents - get your kids involved. Kids - get your parents involved! 60 days of training and a lifetime of change starts tomorrow. Ready, steady, go!

Monday, March 10, 2008

5 weeks to go...

An impending conference deadline saw me spending more time infront of my computer this week, yet at the same time my mileage also increased.
Monday was a scheduled day off, but did 3.2 miles of interval training on the treadmill.
Tuesday - 6 miles scheduled. In extremely windy conditions we tried a new route and ended up going 7.5 miles.
Wednesday - Another 6 miler scheduled. Inspired by a beautiful mild afternoon, we went on an extended Granchester run of 7 miles.
Thursday - 6 miles scheduled, but day off due to poor weather.
Friday - 4 miles scheduled. Ended up running twice today for a total of 8.5 miles (amazing the effect that work has on me!)
Saturday - scheduled day off, but a day of extreme PhD writing found me needing to escape. We braved the rain for a good 6.7 mile run.
Sunday - 13 mile race scheduled. No time to race, and the weather forecast was grim. However the sun appeared briefly and Fi and I decided to go for a short jog along the river. It was going well so we just kept running - just over 13 miles covered (and we ended up very cold and wet!).

All in all a brilliant week of training -45.9 miles which translates to 73.4 km. It is amazing what effect a deadline has on me :) It is such a relief to finally get some miles under my belt. The next few weeks will see a decrease in distance due to several orienteering competitions which will limit my running training. But for today, as storms lash England I am content to sit and rest my weary legs.

Don't forget to keep the pledges coming!

No comments: