Another crazy idea...

April 13 2008... Not long until I am going to be pounding the streets of London in my second attempt at the London marathon. Two years ago I ran (well jogged slowly)as a penguin to raise funds for Children with Leukaemia. I remember it as being 'fun' - amazing at my ability to block out bad and painful memories! This time, I am running for what I believe is the greatest threat facing the world as we know it - climate change. In undertaking this personal challenge, I want to raise awareness of the issues and throw out a challenge to everyone who reads this blog to make small changes in their lives. Afterall, many small changes can make a huge difference.
So here's how it works - last time I was pestering you for money. This time instead of money I want you to pledge to make small changes and list these under the comments sections to give other people ideas. Parents - get your kids involved. Kids - get your parents involved! 60 days of training and a lifetime of change starts tomorrow. Ready, steady, go!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

6 weeks to go...

This week was bumps - four days of crazy Cambridge rowing races where they line 18 boats up 1.5 boat lengths apart and then fire a cannon. You then race flat out until you hit the boat infront, are hit by the boat behind or row over. Each race can last from 30 seconds up to 10 minutes. My participation in this events limited my training chances, but the week started well.
Monday was scheduled to be a day off, but it was sunny and I decided a short, slow jog would be a good cure for the aching muscles. It turned into a 6 mile, relatively fast run. It was brilliant fun, but the muscles weren't happy at the end :) Oh - I almost forgot to mention our early morning rowing outing as well - wasn't as much fun!
Tuesday the schedule called for 6 miles, which was achieved with a run along the river to watch the rowing racing.
Wednesday and Thursday - 2 x 5 miles scheduled. Our crew started racing today, and hence all hopes of running were abandoned. Both races were quite short due to a) carnage on the river ahead and b) being bumped early, but it is still a 10km return row each day.
Friday - a scheduled day off. Our prospects for bumps weren't looking great so I decided a quick jog beforehand wouldn't hurt. I combined a 6.5 mile jog with another 10km row in cold and windy conditions.
Saturday - the final day of bumps (another 10km row) and 20 miles scheduled, but no time to run! We went straight from the river to post bumps celebrations.
Sunday - 3 miles scheduled. With no rowing and the sun shining, Fi and I ran 6.5 miles through the fields to Granchester.

In total 25 miles (40 km) of running and 50 km of rowing.. Mmm - it is signifantly less than the scheduled 40 miles (64 km) which isn't good. If I have any hope of beating the 'wall' in the marathon I need to increase my mileage significantly!

No comments: